Tuesday, January 7, 2020

[RP] The Reunion


Maria, Anais, Geoffery, Illyana, and Ranauld have had a long year. They've been training together, went on a mission together, and did a number of favors for the captain just in case something went wrong when it came time for Chaucer to finally pay up. They've finally arrived at the moon base above Scintilla. The doors of the shuttle they arrived on begin to open. Chaucer is in the base's main thoroughfaire and he has the ultimate bittersweet feeling of excitement and anxiety of what they will think of him. He chose to keep the machine form that was grafted on and ingrained into him by the techpriests of Scintilla. His eyes are globes of metal that resemble the human eye with red irises and black sclera. His mouth a purely functional thing for use to eat and speak with his words being supplied by a vox unit in his throat. His form enlarged by the grafted muscles. The only thing familiar about him is his plate armour he still wears from home bearing the heraldry and colors of house Adeline. Around it is a black cloak. On his belt, a power sword. On his back, his shield. He drums his fingers in anticipation across the hilt as he waits for them.
Yesterday at 9:37 PM
Maria leads the way down the ramp, looking around to see what kind of place they'll be living inn. Her eyes light up when she sees Chaucer's familiar armor, and she speeds up almost to a run, but she slows to a stop as she gets closer and sees what's become of him. She looks confused, and alarmed, and maybe even a little scared. " ... Chaucer?"
Yesterday at 9:39 PM
Ranauld follows closely behind his mother, a face of joy plastered on his face when he sees that armor. However it slowly fades to uncertainty as he gets closer to the figure.
Yesterday at 9:42 PM
Geoffery, Anais, and Illyana follow right behind her. Geoffery looks at his father with a mixture of confusion, curiosity, and slowly dawning understanding mixed with sadness. Anais looks at him and gives a little sigh in frustration knowing that hoping for him to be the same was too good to be true. Illyana follows and yells out excitedly, "father!" She then stops a few meters away from him and puts her hands to her mouth in shock as she gasps. "Hello Maria," he says softly, almost timidly in his now vox-supported speech giving a brassy mechanical nature to his voice. "Children, how I longed to see you," he tearfully says had he any more tears to shed, he would. He waits calmly breathing in and out of his lungs and standing up straight with his hand at his side. He removes a gauntlet and shows her his hand and skin. That which she knew.
Yesterday at 9:51 PM
She gently takes it and runs her fingers over the familiar flesh, looking into his strange new eyes. "What happened?" Her voice is choked with emotion.
Yesterday at 10:34 PM
“I had pride ruin me, Maria. That is the short of it. I proudly showed my colors when it was no time to do so and my face was taken away by a blasphemer. In my recovery, most of the rest was replaced.”
Yesterday at 10:35 PM
Ranauld slowly comes to understanding as he looks onto the visage of the face metal that is his father. He takes a few steps forward but continues to give his father and mother space.
Yesterday at 10:36 PM
“I must speak with all verity owed: I could have fixed this. But I would be bedridden and unable to perform my duties. I am... stronger, more durable this way. I was saved by my form from being sent to our heavenly Emperor by it. I am sorry.”
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
She closes her eyes and takes his other hand in hers. "I ... see." She's struggling to control her emotions.
She looks at him again, struggling to look him in the eye, but ends up dropping her gaze. "How have you fared, aside from - this?" She gestures at his augments and modifications.
Yesterday at 11:02 PM
“I’ve done well. Every party originally connected to this was purged. Their master is next.”
“I trust the captain treated you well, I did have to burn through a good amount of favors...” he trails off as he sees Illyana’s bionic arm. His irises constrict and he gently lets go of Maria and starts to walk toward her. She looks up with tears in her eyes at him. He looks down at her with confusion. Then understanding. He gently feels her arm and then embraces her. She is stock still. He growls, “I will kill him for subjecting you to this, my sweet child,” he lets go of her and takes out his power sword and ignites it almost on instinct and starts to head to the lift.
“Father, I volunteered! Like you!” She yells out not knowing who this man is now but knowing her protective father. “This is my fault!” Anais almost smirks at his actions, Geoffery hurries in front of him and worriedly puts his hands up, “father, she did and the captain put up the money for the arm!”
“Son, he placed my family in danger,” he says steadfastly as he is stopped. “We placed ourselves in danger,” Anais says smoothly folding her arms.
Yesterday at 11:44 PM
He looks back.
Yesterday at 11:50 PM
Ranauld, who was keeping a distance now steps up and places a hand on his father’s shoulder. “We all agreed to the Captain’s proposition, and we knew the risks of it.”
Today at 12:06 AM
He looks at Ranauld and looks confused and sad.
Today at 12:26 AM
He turns off the power sword.
Today at 9:53 AM
Maria lays a hand on his arm. "As they said, we are responsible for our own actions. The captain made it clear that if we did him this favor, he would annull the payment you owed him. We knew it would be dangerous, and we chose to do it anyways."
Today at 10:34 AM
He looks at each of them in worried contemplation. Then his shoulders relax. He puts the sword back in its hilt and calmly says, “thank you.” Geoffery and Illyana breathe our in relief and Anais walks closer to him.
Today at 11:49 AM
She looks at him in his metal eye. He waits anxiously for what she’s going to do. She then quickly pulls him into a hug. “I missed you, father,” she says with none of the guardedness she usually has. “I missed you, little Ana,” he says hugging her back.
Today at 12:22 PM
Maria's face breaks into a smile, seeing this. "It's good to be back together again. "
Today at 12:24 PM
Chaucer breaks from the hug from Anais who is smiling to go to his wife and he has his face near to hers and then remembers he can’t kiss her. He looks extremely sad with what emotion he can summon. Geoffery and Illyana start to approach him.
Today at 12:44 PM
Maria takes his head between her hands and kisses his brow. She very quietly says "We can talk about that later." and turns back to the children.
Today at 1:54 PM
Lansrick looks at her and nods. Geoffery and Illyana quickly hug their father. He tries to hold them both. Then Geoffery is the first to get serious and asks, “when are we going into the field?”
Illyana excitedly asks, “also is that a power sword?!”
Lansrick answers his son, “as soon as Inquisitor Formidda or possibly Interrogator Sand has you set up.” He answers his daughter with a nod. “Twas gifted to me by an emissary of the Emperor. I think. I maybe confusing that memory because I was chased for showing it and then chided by him.”
“I am attempting to gain one for you, Maria.” He says with a smile.
“As my better and liege-lady I would hand mine to you but I may anger the man again.”
“And he might know God, so...”
Today at 3:28 PM
Maria laughs and shakes her head. "You'll have to tell us all about your adventures. They sound rather dramatic." She gets a bit more serious and says "We should try to get settled in as soon as we can, so that we are prepared should we be called upon."
Today at 3:30 PM
"You all must tell me what has happened since I have been gone and what you've all seen!" He responds heartily. He then nods, "I will help you get set up. Come with me." He leads them to where they need to go.
Today at 3:38 PM
The acolyte quarters are currently pretty busy, there's a decent number of people there, but securing space for everyone isn't too difficult.
Today at 3:39 PM
Everyone gets settled in.
Pretty much all of them are used to bunking by now. Anais more than most of them since she spent many nights at the convent. Ranauld is very much used to sneaking out at night and sleeping anywhere he could sit. Illyana and Geoffery may be less accustomed but Illyana has gone on campaign with her mother before as has Geoffery although he preferred staying inside.
Today at 4:07 PM
It's not long before they're just another group of acolytes living on the moon base.

Today at 6:41 PM
So Chaucer gets Maria alone and asks, “you wished to speak of something, love?”
Today at 7:31 PM
She nods, not looking directly at him. "Yes. How extensive are your ... changes?"
Today at 7:33 PM
"My face, my eyes, my skin, and my muscles have been altered along with my voice implant. I was hardly left with a shred of my countenance when the heretek was through."
Today at 7:36 PM
Maria looks pained as she says "I'm sorry. That must have been excruciating. I wish I could have been there to help you."
Today at 7:38 PM
He looks at her, "I had good help with me. Twas my fault and my fault alone for my foolishness."
Today at 7:39 PM
She sighs. "I suppose. Accepting the pain and injuries of others has always been difficult for me. Seeing you and even our children hurt so badly..." She shakes her head.
Today at 7:41 PM
"I understand. Poor Illyana. I know too well what it's like to lose like that." He lifts up his leggings to show his cybernetic leg.
Today at 7:43 PM
She rests her hand on it, taking in her husband's new form. "And Renauld, too. The chirurgeons thought his face would never look the same, but he only has a few scars. Those maggot-things are monsters beyond anything I have seen."
Today at 7:44 PM
He looks at her with shock, "so you have faced them too?"
Today at 7:46 PM
She looks equally suprised. "Yes. Two piles of writhing worms in the rough shape of a man. Two of them took Illyana's arm and wounded the rest of us on the world of Acreage. Are they what did this to you?" She gestures at his augments again.
Today at 7:47 PM
"The leg. Everything else was the heretek. I would rather face that witch a hundred times over than them."
She shudders. "I do not disagree."
Today at 7:52 PM
He walks slowly up to her.
Today at 7:54 PM
She looks at him as he does so, eyes wandering over his new face.
Today at 7:55 PM
"Do you think you could ever look upon me as you did again?" He asks.
Today at 7:57 PM
She starts to speak, pauses, takes a deep breathe, and says "I don't know."
Today at 7:58 PM
He deflates and looks away. "I feared as much." He puts his hand on a wall and leans on it while looking down.
Today at 8:00 PM
She looks away from him and quietly says "I still love you."
Today at 8:00 PM
He looks back. "Had I tears to shed I would," he says with his voice cracking and his hand on the wall tensing.
Today at 8:06 PM
Her knuckles whiten as her fingers curl and tighten. She closes her eyes to hide her own tears forming. "I'm sorry."
Today at 8:06 PM
"...Are you happy being out here?"
Today at 8:09 PM
She sighs and says "I just arrived. I didn't mind the Trader's ship, and aside from the horrendous injury our mission wasn't terrible. I think I'll miss Wylde, but I can accept it. What about you?"
Today at 8:11 PM
“I feel I serve a greater purpose, now. I find the work satisfying.” He says, sounding like he’s working through the words that he genuinely means but he never had to convert from his thoughts.
Today at 8:14 PM
She nods in understanding. "Our deeds go far beyond our current campaign, now."
Today at 8:19 PM
He stays quiet. His mental anguish is great and what he feared has come to fruition. Not in totality, but a key pillar of his fear has been erected in reality.
He keeps leaning against the wall.
Today at 8:21 PM
Maria, at a loss for words, gets up and slowly heads towards the door. She looks back as she reaches the threshold, hesitating.
Today at 8:25 PM
He turns and looks back at her and says, "I love you. I'm sorry I'm not as I was."
Today at 8:27 PM
She sighs and says "I know. I'm sorry too." There is defeat in her voice.
Today at 8:29 PM
"...Do you need time? Do you think we could begin anew? I want to try."
Today at 8:34 PM
She shakes her head, not in denial of his question but at the difficulty of the situation. "I don't know. Maybe. We can try." She hesitates and, looking away from him again, says "There's something you should know. I ... briefly courted another. It hadn't gotten very far when your message came, but I thought you were dead or gone forever."
Today at 8:36 PM
He chuckles a little, "I honestly wondered if you would. As you said, I was possibly dead. I can't fault you for trying again with another nor for someone else admiring your strength and beauty."
Today at 8:37 PM
A little tension she hadn't noticed she was carrying falls away from her. "Thank you."
Today at 8:39 PM
He nods to her. "I would like to try. We can take our time. I have been away from you for years, now. I can wait a little more."
Today at 8:41 PM
She nods, throat tight, and doesn't say anything.
Today at 8:42 PM
He walks toward the door. He stops at her side. He looks at her.
Today at 8:43 PM
She looks back, and tentatively rests a hand on his shoulder.
Today at 8:44 PM
He gently places a hand on her hand and squeezes it with affection.
Today at 8:47 PM
Feeling that familiar sensation after so long nearly brings her to tears. She takes a deep breath to steady herself and says "Well. I suppose we'll see what the future brings." As she steps out of the doorway.
Today at 8:47 PM
He nods and goes about his way.
Today at 8:51 PM
She does as well, a small smile on her face.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dark Heresy 2E. the FFG 40k RPG system, and the future of this blog

I do not like this system anymore. I will probably be switching content to GURPS when I'm not just using DND content. I might convert ol...